Coach JW

Endurance has been a part of JW’s life, all his life. It started when he was young with a love of sports then with a dedication taking him to competitive downhill skiing and Junior A Hockey. He is a father, husband, first responder, athlete, and student. In the winter of 2022, JW decided to take his endurance coaching to the next level and enrolled in Mount Royal University’s 2-year Personal Fitness Trainer program. The goal is to take his coaching to the next level with CSEP-CPT national certification. It was the Black Spur Ultra inaugural event in 2015 that he ran a 16.1km leg with 886m elevation gain/loss called the Goat… that hooked JW into Ultra Trail running! JW and his wife now run the shorter ultras around the 54km distances that make up their three A events in the ATP. It is now a part of his family in how they hike, bike, kayak, and race together.

JW is fully behind the 80/20 philosophy of training in where 80% of the weekly training is low intensity (zones 1 & 2) while the remaining 20% is at moderate to high intensity (zone 3 and higher). In all his experiences it just works, and you need to trust the system. JW primarily trains with power, then pace, followed by heart rate. Power has been a game changer for him in training and racing in the mountains. He believes an athletes training needs to be approached holistically and contribute to their overall health and wellness.

JW loves seeing athletes crushing goals along their fitness journey. In 2022 he coached an athlete that was running three ultras within six weeks, with a balanced and flexible training plan she was able to shave 45mins off her previous personal best in the third of the three races at 54k. As your coach he will guide you along your journey to whatever your ‘why’ is.

80/20 Endurance Certified Coach
TrainingPeaks L1 Certified Coach
Stryd Certified Coach
SafeSport Certificate

Registered EMR with ACP
BLS/First Aid Instructor
Fire Service/ICS Instructor
80/20 Endurance & XOSKIN Ambassador